With the announcement from our governor today, Club Nexus has decided to close for the remainder of the season. We are devastated to call our productive and competitive season to a close too soon, but we think it’s best to take our families out of waiting in limbo for other announcements. For the traveling teams, we were also informed today that the Red Rock Rave, Vegas National Qualifier, has been officially cancelled, so we are now unable to compete in any national qualifiers for the remainder of the season. We cannot wait to get back on the court with our athletes, but health and safety is of the utmost importance and we are following the guidance of the state, USA volleyball, and AAU in this decision.
Now, we understand that money is a pressing matter on everyone’s minds and we have been thinking long and hard about how to address this for all the teams. At this time, we have still not received all of our refunds including, Red Rock Rave, Lonestar, Dallas flights, prepaid rental fees, and the West Coast classic. We have been given no current timelines on when the fees will be returned to us. What we do know is we will not be receiving 100% of these investments back. Flights will be given as vouchers and tournament fees are not 100% refundable because they have had nonrefundable expenses as well.
The other variable is that due to Club Nexus’ policy to be accommodating to payment plans, paid in full discounts, etc. we will have to go team by team and family by family to make sure we have the proper amounts. We so appreciate your patience with this. We will be issuing one refund per family, which means there are some families that will need to continue to wait for Nexus to learn what refunds we will be expecting so we can communicate that you to. However, if your family is experiencing a hardship at this time, please DO NOT be embarrassed to send a quick message to Abby or Kassie and let us know you need your refund more speedily.
When it comes to refunds, there are some policy guidelines to keep in mind as well as a promise by Nexus to be as transparent in the process as we can be. Also, we are a non-profit, so there are some rules and regulations we must follow.
1) If some of your funds were claimed as donations, sponsorships, scholarships and were claimed as such on your tax documents, those funds will not be returned to the family unless you refile your taxes without the tax deduction. Because of this, Nexus has decided to extend your family a credit for any future Nexus event: clinic, one-to-one, tryouts, etc. Please do not read this as a guarantee of a spot on a team; even if your family has a credit, Nexus cannot and will not guarantee your child a spot on any team.
2) Please remember that if you decided to pay in full at tryouts, your family was rewarded with an upfront discount. So, the discounted amount will be taken into consideration when calculating your refund.
3) For the monthly paying families, please remember that most of Nexus’ expenses are paid within the first 1-2 months of the season. And April and/or May payments haven’t been collected yet. It’s entirely possible that the refunded amount could be less than the amount your family still owes Nexus for the season. We spread out the payments because we know a large sum isn’t possible for most families on tryout day, however, most of Nexus’ expenses were paid back in November/ December and we will not be getting most of the money back.
4) Sponsorships/ fundraisers cannot be returned to the families or companies. That money was “donated” to your child to participate in a 501(c)3 activity and they were sent information on how to claim that on their taxes either for 2019 or 2020. At this point, the money cannot be returned to someone outside of Nexus. So, these funds can be applied individually as credits for your child to participate in future Nexus activities, whatever they may be. Nexus directors will be working with Team Parents to collect any outstanding team collections and applying them to individual’s accounts.
5) Travel funds- There are only a handful of families that have paid for either Dallas or Vegas travel and we will be taking that into considering for your refunds as well.
We hope some of your questions have been answered about how Nexus will handle refunds. You can expect individual records to be sent to your family explaining the refund/ credit scenario that is specific to you. We are trying to expedite the process because we know no one likes to wait on money, but there are 140 families in our club so we appreciate your patience. Again, if your family is experiencing a hardship, please contact us.
We miss all of you and your athletes terribly. We are keeping you in our thoughts as we all adjust to our new reality for a while. When we can be together safely, we would be honored to see you again, give you a warm hug, and play some volleyball! Until then, we wish you all the best.